What goes up...

is often a lot of hot air. In my mind I soar like an eagle, but my friends say I waddle like a duck.

My Photo
Name:
Location: No Man's Land, Disputed Ground

Flights of Fancy on the Winds of Whimsy

Monday, March 03, 2008

To Choose, or not to choose

There was an advert recently discussing the unfairness of "Or" as opposed to "And". One means you have to choose, the other means you get both. I think Honda ran the advert. You have to admire their brass face, I don't think a major automotive manufacturer has ever built a slower F1 car with such an enormous budget. "We can go fast, or we can go slow". I forgot, they're selling the "And" clause over the "Or", aren't they? "We can go slow, and we can go slow".

Is having a choice always the best thing since sliced bread? Did we need Betamax and VHS? Since you couldn't use both at the same time, it was really a choice of one or the other.

But business seems to love the "And". Why? Let's take screws, for instance. Old-fashioned slot-head screws can be a real pain to use, because you have to keep centralising the screwdriver in the screw or it will slip out and gash something, usually a hand. So someone had the bright idea of making a screw with a pair of slots in the head, and a special bit to fit those slots, a cross-head bit, so that it centred in the screw and just stayed put.

And then someone else had the next bright idea. Let's make two competing types of cross-head screws, one called Phillips and the other called Posidrive. And let's make them subtly different, so that instead of having to have three of four different sizes of screwdriver to fit the different screw sizes, you need to have double that amount to cater for both Phillips and Posidrive screws.

"And," (there's that sodding word again), where they got really clever was, "let's make then almost visually indistinguishable from each other." So you can't say to yourself, "I'll have nothing more to do with that Phillips, (or Posidrive)", weed out half of the screwdrivers from your toolbox, and just concentrate on the job of getting the shelves up. "Or" is not an option. You can't get one type of screwdriver that will reliably work on both types of screw.

At least Betamax and VHS had the common sense to be different enough so that you couldn't get confused between them.

In an extreme moment, I admit I have just put in a couple of cross-head screws with a hammer. After finding that the wrong type of screwdriver had chewed up the cross to the point where the screw could be neither tightened nor removed by either type of screwdriver, what choice was there left?

It was fun doing it. I don't have a sign up when I'm working saying "Caution, men working", I have one which reads "This is a designated foul-language area."

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger FirstNations said...

my husband used to be God of the fasteners dept. at a hardware store. the fastener world is a far, far more infinitely, unnecessarily specialized place than it needs to be....unless you sell hardware.

6:59 pm  
Blogger dinahmow said...

At a pinch you can ( I have) screwed a Phillips head with a kitchen knife.
Hammering screws? With some flat-pack furniture, that's the only way!

2:51 am  
Blogger Sopwith-Camel said...

FN: we've all got our dark secrets, some of us more than most. I hopy TYB didn't have to wear one of those brown storeman's coats with all the pens in the top pocket, it's a cruel fate.

Dinahmow: I like initiative and style, kitchen knives show a bit of that. A jack-hammer would have got you top of the high-score list, but I suppose it isn't what you'd find in the average kitchen or garage toolbox.

6:50 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:44 am  
Blogger Sopwith-Camel said...

Thanks for the chance to take part in promoting a site by hosting comments, my Brazilian friend. If it had been a blog in English instead of Portuguese I might have let the comment stay, but since it is only a site promoting cellular phones, I can't see any relevance to my site.

12:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home