What goes up...

is often a lot of hot air. In my mind I soar like an eagle, but my friends say I waddle like a duck.

My Photo
Name:
Location: No Man's Land, Disputed Ground

Flights of Fancy on the Winds of Whimsy

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Christmas 1954 style




The war years were a fading memory, and building steam-powered meccano things to celebrate the festive season was de rigeur. What is he going to use that engine for? Will it power a carousel with reindeer going merrily up and down? Or a flying Santa and his sleigh ride? She seems to know, that look on her face suggests she's looking forward to something once he stops fiddling with his tools. I can't get over the smartly-knotted tie and buttoned-up jacket. So this is what the internet has lead us to: we don't make things, just buy them off ebay, and sit around at home wearing pastel-coloured tee-shirts and ripped jeans.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Chris Frumplington said...

The picture intrigues me the more I look at it. Notice how the woman is intently looking out of the picture at us; she's gonna spill that tea if she isn't careful. By the way, what masculine hands she has. I'm right, aren't I?

And who or what is the man looking at? He too is failing to concentrate on his work. Shortly after the picture was drawn he probably jabbed himself with that screwdriver. Ouch!

Old book covers are like an art form in their own right though. You just have to love them.

11:21 am  
Blogger Sopwith-Camel said...

I can only see one of her hands, and I think that what it is, is that he made here a hot-hand to use when holding things that are hot or might spill boiling water everywhere, so it's larger than her normal hand because her hand is inside it. He's a clever chappie, you see, so he moulded it inside a cast of his own hand but outside a cast of her hand.

And I think that what she's lokking at is whatever the device is that is going to be powered by the steam engine.

But I could just be imagining it, as usual.

3:27 pm  
Blogger FirstNations said...

is that out of that trunk full of papers you bought last summer? took ya long enough! maybe he's building something to remedy tardiness.

hmph.

8:52 pm  
Blogger Sopwith-Camel said...

FN: No, that trunk is still waiting to be sorted. I was writing out a list of things I should try not to do, and procrastination was going to be at the top, but something else turned up and now I don't know where it is. Maybe in the trunk?

10:17 am  
Blogger Taiga the Fox said...

Yep. Father Christmas visited us yesterday. He came with his brand new car after I paid him 55 euros and brought us a Playstation and stuff, which we had paid for. Ho ho ho.

Oh, and happy holidays :)

10:08 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home