What goes up...

is often a lot of hot air. In my mind I soar like an eagle, but my friends say I waddle like a duck.

My Photo
Name:
Location: No Man's Land, Disputed Ground

Flights of Fancy on the Winds of Whimsy

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

We are such stuff

as ice-creams are made on

Little Petal and I couldn't be more different when it comes to dreaming. She can rarely remember a dream from the night before, but when she does, it is invariably a nightmare. I can nearly always remember at least on of the dreams I had when I wake, and I almost never have bad dreams.

I feel cheated if I can't recall anything from the night before, but trying to bring back the memories of some of them is still a puzzle to me. Sometimes, something in the day will just bring back a fragment, but mostly I have the strange feeling of knowing that I have an image or sensation in my mind that I can sense is there, but just can't quite touch. There is a similar sensation when you jolt awake after dozing and realise that you were dreaming, but can't picture or describe it to yourself. It's as if a shutter comes down, and it seems to be instantaneous. Tommy wrote a poem that describes it in another way. Her poem reminded me that I sometimes remember a forgotten dream when I am in another dream, and yet again, when I wake, I know I remembered a dream within a dream, but still can't picture it.

I dreamed the other night that I took a car (not mine or Little Petals's) to a garage because the brakes needed mending. I wandered away from the garage and found myself wading along a shallow stream, passing underneath a road bridge. I turned a bend and saw that trees arched up above me, and then once I had gone beyond the leafy section, found the water plunged down over a weir into a series of little pools. The water was suddenly very much warmer, but I climbed out of it and stood on the rocks. The pools were full of shellfish. I saw clams with the water swirling in and out of their open shells, and purple brown lobsters, and large crabs moving slowly through the clean bubbling water. I knew the name of the village where this was happening, but I also knew it had never had these pools, or even a shellfish shop.

After I woke up I tried to remember the name of the village, where it was, and if I had ever owned a light brown car like a Golf or a Polo. I did once own an old Passat, and it had a partial brake failure once which I fixed myself,but it was a much deeper red than the car I saw in this dream. And, once awake, I had no idea at all of what the village really looked like.

All I know, and I'm not even certain that it is true, is why the shellfish might have appeared in the dream. The night before, when I had been grabbing songs from the net, I had been humming to myself

Limpets,
There's no Limpets,
There's no Limpets,
No No, there's no Limpets

8 Comments:

Blogger Chris Frumplington said...

'No no, there's no limits'?

I recognize that song. Just can't remember the artiste at the moment though. Wasn't Jefferson STARFISH, was it, by any chance?

No, thought not...

7:31 pm  
Blogger Sopwith-Camel said...

Hi C&S. yes, that's it. No, I can't remember either, and can't be bothered to go googling. It won't keep me awake at nights not knowing, and it did a fine job of sparking off an episode in a dream. What more could I ask for?

9:57 pm  
Blogger FirstNations said...

so the malaprop synapse is where the dreams leak through? this could end up being a mental health breakthrough you know.

11:56 pm  
Blogger Sopwith-Camel said...

FN: I've always loved mangling song lyrics, just colour me twisted. I do actually have a problem sometimes in conversation where I use the wrong word because of a similarity in the sound or the pattern of syllables. I've still got a way to go before I can equal JFK's berliner gaffe.

If only I could use malapropisms to recall the dreams as well.

9:29 am  
Blogger Occasional Poster of Comments said...

The band was 2-Unlimpeted :)

9:07 pm  
Blogger Sopwith-Camel said...

Welcome back OPC: I did momentarily think of trying a series of shellfish band names, but all I managed to come up with were The Crabs (for The Cramps), which wasn't even remotely suitable.

11:32 am  
Blogger FirstNations said...

are you saying that kennedy WASN'T a doughnut?

5:31 pm  
Blogger Sopwith-Camel said...

FN: nobody tried to take a bite out of him. I rest my case.

I wonder if that's why the brain was lost at Bethsada, was it just strawberry jam?

Whole new avenue of conspiracy theory opens up in front of me, I must go.

9:56 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home