What goes up...

is often a lot of hot air. In my mind I soar like an eagle, but my friends say I waddle like a duck.

My Photo
Name:
Location: No Man's Land, Disputed Ground

Flights of Fancy on the Winds of Whimsy

Thursday, April 12, 2007

The Orange-Tip Butterfly

This is a new visitor to the Camel's hangar, although my litle petal says it was here last summer. It might indeed have visited then, but I was miles away at the top of the fens and didn't get the chance to see it. So it's new to me.



The name is unsurprising, I can't think of anything else that it might prefer to be called.



What is quite unusual about it is the patterned underside of the wings.







I looked it up on the Butterfly Conservation website, and found that it is not rare, but is described as "having an expanding range". So does this mean that it is spreading further afield as a result of climate change?

Answers in a comment, please.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger CT said...

You are really good at wildlife photography. If i tried to capture that amazing butterfly on film, i would be left with a blurry photo.
You are highly skilled me thinks!

1:44 pm  
Blogger Sopwith-Camel said...

A lot of the secret is in patience, holding your breath while you take the shot, but mainly, it is choosing a camera that has a good optical zoom, rather than a digital zoom. And finally, persuading the butterflies to stay still. I have to make them all sorts of promises that I am not always able to keep.

3:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home