What goes up...

is often a lot of hot air. In my mind I soar like an eagle, but my friends say I waddle like a duck.

My Photo
Name:
Location: No Man's Land, Disputed Ground

Flights of Fancy on the Winds of Whimsy

Saturday, April 07, 2007

Final Flight

Thirteen months of active duty have come to an end, and the Camel is back home. As it is, I lasted a lot longer than most new pilots in the First World War; thirteen weeks would have been good going for many of them. But I survived. Thirteen months is the longest that I have ever spent working away from home, and I spent all but the first three weeks of it living in a small village midway between Scunthorpe and Gainsborough.



My last week there was the anniversary of my first week after I had decided I couldn't spend another night in a Travelodge. Spring was just beginning.



Despite my rather harsh description of the village in my first week, I grew to love it, and am certainly going to miss it now I am back in the warmth of the South.



And as much as anything else, I am going to miss the woods through which I spent many happy evenings wandering around, even in the darkness of winter.



There was always something unexpected to be found just a few yards off the beaten paths.



One thing I noticed was the lag that 260 miles produced; these were in flower in Lincolnshire three weeks after I first noticed them in Wiltshire.



I have struggled to get a good photograph of these, this is as good as I have managed so far, and I am still puzzled as to why they should be so tricky to get into perfect focus.



And although I normally only post pictures of wild flowers and plants, sometimes you have to just break the rules without any real excuse.



This isn't the end of the Sopwith Camel; unlike the unknown duo from the war who finished up deep in the bloody mud of the Somme, I shall fly on, but things will be different, and I want to say goodbye to Lincolnshire and all the people I met in my time up there before my new life begins.

So farewell to the fens and the mists of the Humber valley.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home