What goes up...

is often a lot of hot air. In my mind I soar like an eagle, but my friends say I waddle like a duck.

My Photo
Name:
Location: No Man's Land, Disputed Ground

Flights of Fancy on the Winds of Whimsy

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Malt

A few weeks ago I rode through the little village of East Knoyle, just a couple of miles away, because I was feeling bold enough to attempt to cycle up the steep hills by the village church. As I turned left and headed towards the church I noticed a new building on the edge of the green, and read the signs. It was a post-office. Another one. The old post-office which used to be almost opposite the site of this new one had only opened four mornings a week, and had rows of depressingly empty shelves inside. It was no surprise when it finally faded away.

When I first began working from home, almost fifteen years ago, I had a nightmare time trying to learn when all the local shops and post-offices opened and closed. I would jump in the car to get a packet of work sent off to a customer, arrive at the local shop, and find it was only open half of the week. After another frantic dash through the lanes to the next village, I would either be lucky and find the post-office section open, of more likely find that although the shop was open, the post-office section wasn't.

So the following week, I thought I would get a copy of the local free-adverts paper from the new local shop, and rode up to East Knoyle. They were sorry, but they'd had a rush demand for the paper that day, and had none left. I wandered around the shop anyway, finding it was closer to a delicatessen, bought some soft liquorice and some dried beans, and pedaled off to the next nearest village stores, who also had run out of the free papers.

In the following following week, when Little Petal had a clutch of ebay sales to post out, I persuaded her to not drive up the hill to the big post-office where you always stand for five minutes in the queue, but to drive up to East Knoyle instead. She still had to stand for five minutes waiting for the customer who was already there to finish his deals, but they were chatting quite happily to each other when I looked across from the shelves where I was having my trip down memory lane.

When I was growing up, there was a system called "family allowance", where mothers got weekly coupons to get supplementary foods for their growing children. I remember orange juice, cod-liver oil, rose-hip syrup, powdered milk, which I hated, and a strange turgid-coloured sticky mixture called malt extract, which I loved. And now I was staring at a jar of malt extract on the shelf in front of me, for 95 pence.

I haven't seen malt extract since leaving home all those years ago. I sat impatiently in the passenger seat while Little Petal drove at a respectful pace back home, and then dashed inside for a spoon. I twisted the cap off with the jar held at an unfortunate angle and had sticky threads of a strange turgid-coloured lazy liquid dribble across my hand as I hurriedly moved the lid back over the jar.

Bliss, joy, an "A la recherche du Temps Perdu" moment as the spoon gave up its burden; it was the same stuff. Happiness of haphazard happenstance. It must have been fate that put that jar on the shelf in front of me not half a dozen hours after I had realized my love of malt was piling on the weight again. Like Charles Fort said, "It steam-engines when it becomes Steam-engine time"

Now, perhaps, I can stop using malted wholemeal flour in my bread and get back to spelt and rye mixtures, with a single daily hit of malt straight from the jar.

And, what is really bugging me, is, what wrong turn would my life have taken if, two weeks ago, I had managed to get a copy of the free-adverts paper and looked through the part-time situations vacant section?

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my young day (born in 1960) my mum gave me the hateful daily teaspoonful of cod liver oil immediately followed by a delicious spoonful of Virol malt extract from a large metal tin to take away the taste of the oil. A quick Google suggests that Virol had other ingredients (orange juice?) mixed into the malt extract. I'm delighted that you can still buy it and can't wait to get some. I live quite close to East Knoyle so hope you haven't bought the last jar!

BTW I'm a newcomer to your blog and find it fascinating reading. Why isn't there a facility on the blog to send you a private email?

2:07 pm  
Blogger Sopwith-Camel said...

LS, I suspect that you're right about lots of hidden things in Malt Extract, it tastes too good not to be bad for you. And yes, we also got the extract to take away the taste of the cod-liver oil.

I've added a side-bar link to allow direct mails; I used to have my mail address in the profile, but it seems to have gone walkabout after the recent upgrade to blogger.

2:29 pm  
Blogger FirstNations said...

mmmmm, malt extract!
you may as well glue bricks to your butt and get it over with, though. that stuff is TOO good.

on a completely unrelated issue, you seem to be a past master of baking. what can you tell me about fermenting (or 'aging) dough? I want to take the starchy flavor out of my breads and supposedly this is the way to do so, but I can't find a discussion of HOW anywhere. halp!

6:46 pm  
Blogger Sopwith-Camel said...

FN, I am a past-master on the art of using a bread-making machine with dried yeast and a mix of flours :). However, today it broke just as I set it to go, and in a desperate measure I emptied the mix into a basin, beat it by hand, kneaded it, let it rise awhile, and stuck it in the oven. A complete bluff, but it is quite edible. I didn't however, allow it enough time to rise, and it has the starchy flavour you're talking about. Now my hands are clean enough to let me read the book we've got, I've discovered that the rising time is much longer than I anticipated, and also that the kneading of the dough is critical to breaking down the gluten. I think you need to look at methods of using live yeast rather than dried, and of two or even three raising spells with kneading sessions in between. Be warned, after wringing seven bales of hell out of a two-pound loaf you're going to have muscles that Hulk Hogan would get down on his knees to you for.

I'm thinking of switching off the bread-machine and going it by hand for a while. E-mail me if you want, because I wouldn't mind swapping discoveries on this.

8:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lanky Streak,

I am most interested in puchasing some Virol too, as I couldn't believe that it is still available ! Please could you give me any details of where this can be got and do you know what all the ingredients are in the product, Thanks !!

Blackpool33

5:05 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home