What goes up...

is often a lot of hot air. In my mind I soar like an eagle, but my friends say I waddle like a duck.

My Photo
Name:
Location: No Man's Land, Disputed Ground

Flights of Fancy on the Winds of Whimsy

Friday, June 22, 2007

Further to my whining...

By late tea-time I had realised that the pains in my legs weren't going to go away quietly, and that it felt worse when I sat down. I found myself pacing up and down the platform dodging the bursts of rain. That's a definite benefit to losing weight, being able to slide between the raindrops.

What I then did might seem stupid, it certainly got a reaction from the Tynemaiden: I went out on the bike. I kept away from the hills that I've been working out on these past few weeks and just rode a simple loop, out to the cross-roads with the little millstream, along to the junction by the gates for the big house on the hill, past the Gothic two-story crumbling cricket pavilion that is now looking very sad and haunted, past the farm with the little terrier that sits in the middle of the road and barks at the cars, over the railway line, back along the switchback road into the village, under the railway line bridge by the village hall, nearly half a mile from the village, and then back home.

I didn't have a single twinge from my legs in all that time. I was out for about an hour. So I suppose it was just a cramp. The Tynemaiden looked at me suspiciously as I came into the kitchen, sweating and glowing.

"Ah divvun kna wor yers gorrin' yer hid fer breeayns, boot it's neigh gud fer eenythen' boot peerin at thim dorty pikchewers oon yer compeeyou'or, yer poorvoort. Yer'll dee yersel a neastee wrungun' soom da."

I only understand about a fifth of what she says, and mostly I'll either nod and say "quite", or shake my head and say "Haddaway yer shite", (whatever that means).

While I was riding, I kept looking around me, thinking how clear and bright everything looked, and yet how cloud-covered the sky was. There was a strange silvery colour to the sky, and I remembered a play I had listened to on the radio last year while I was driving home from Lincolnshire. It was based on a true set of circumstances; a very cold summer two hundred or more years ago, when the sun hardly shone, the crops were meagre, and yet artists like Turner found a fascinating quality in the light that probed the landscape beneath the wintry clouds in August, and a young Edgar Allen Poe became entranced with the sinister tone that simple things like glowering skies and hungry cawing birds can portray.

"It's around me now," I thought, as I glided through the glistening countryside, scanning the treetops for ravens. I got home expecting to be struck through with a bolt of pure inspiration which would lead to my first successful novel, plus film rights and radio dramatisations. Then I took off the anti-dazzle glasses I wear when cycling to stop the insects that fly with blinding accuracy straight into your face as you whizz between the hedgerows. The eldritch light went with them, and I realised it was yet another self-delusion.

But it was intriguing while it lasted.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the nice read.

Sorry about the legs. Hope it's not sciatica.

1:00 am  
Blogger Sopwith-Camel said...

Hi bib, no, it's just cramps, and I have to find out why I've suddenly been getting them.

Thanks for commenting.

9:11 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello fren,

I like your blog and your interesting content too. I am very interested in website and blog. so that i have started online selling from Nepal with home decor and gifts item( totally handmade product). Please check my site and comment my site and product too. my site is :

www. glighthandicrafts.com

I am waiting your warm comment and your sweet advice too.

4:34 pm  
Blogger Sopwith-Camel said...

There are better ways to get your web-site moved up in the search engine listings than this, you know: that is my sweet advice. In the past I have also swiftly deleted such comments. But, since you asked so nicely, and since the address for your site is not embedded as a urelle, I shall let this one stand.

Dubsie, don't you start slagging me off as a comment-whore:)

6:37 pm  
Blogger FirstNations said...

the year without a summer!

leg cramps are caused by lack of b complex vitamins. chuck down a couple of those, stay hydrated and you ought to be good.
unless it's leprosy.

3:22 pm  
Blogger Sopwith-Camel said...

FN, I try not to use pills, I've been having toast with marmite on for breakfast a couple of times a week. Perhaps that isn't enough? At least the cramps have gone away for now.

I don't like the idea of leprosy, all that rubbing off on people isn't my thing.

5:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home