What goes up...

is often a lot of hot air. In my mind I soar like an eagle, but my friends say I waddle like a duck.

My Photo
Name:
Location: No Man's Land, Disputed Ground

Flights of Fancy on the Winds of Whimsy

Monday, December 25, 2006

'Twas the night before Christmas

And all through the house,
Not a creature was stirring,
Not even a Butterfly



It was certainly imobile when I first noticed it, parked inconveniently to one side of the carpet in the corridor just inside the front door, with its wings close together in a vertical plane.. Everyone was walking carelessly around it and I feared for its safety, but when I tried to pick it up I found it was gripping the carpet firmly and wouldn't move. I placed a blue plastic punnet over it to give it what little protection I could, but found later that I had made a grieveous, if pardonable mistake. The cats became fascinated by the faint outline of the butterfly that could just be seen through the plastic and spent most of their time crouched by the punnet batting it with their claws. I noticed in passing that it had dropped its wings down into the open position, and picked up the punnet. It was no longer gripping the carpet and I was able to pick it up, but found that it was either dead, or doing a briiliant impression of rigor mortis. So I put it on the tree.



The second photo is almost an afterthought. It cropped up in the background as I was taking shots of the butterfly, so I took a shot of it all alone. I think it is of a town in Switzerland. I bought it in a junk shop in WIncanton a few years ago, and one of my aims is to go there one day, if I can ever find out where it is.

I still have thoughts like that. I have a set of things in my mind that I am going to be or do when I grow up. If I ever do.

Season's greetings to all of you.

2 Comments:

Blogger CT said...

Lovely butterfly/christmas tree decoration!

Did you have an enjoyable Christmas?

3:41 pm  
Blogger Sopwith-Camel said...

Yes indeed, and I hope you did too.

7:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home