What goes up...

is often a lot of hot air. In my mind I soar like an eagle, but my friends say I waddle like a duck.

My Photo
Name:
Location: No Man's Land, Disputed Ground

Flights of Fancy on the Winds of Whimsy

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Fair wind or foul?

I don't go to a gym, I go to a spot in some woods where there are gates and trees I can use as exercises, and I can watch the sky while I try and work off the results of too many years spent sat in front of computer screens. In between pressups and toe-touches, I sometimes wander around looking at the plants.



Whatever this plant is, it is the holy grail to a particular caterpiller. It doesn't eat any other type of plant, or at least, I have only ever found it on this species.



What starts as a couple of tiger-stripes crawling up a stem ends up as a complete invasion, with the plant losing the battle. I'm not sure exactly which moth or butterfly emerges from the tiger-stripes, and it probably isn't any of the following, because they're already out and about while the tigers are still stalking their prey.



For a while I thought that this might be the end-result of the caterpiller's feeding frenzy because of the colours, but I think it is out too early. Unless of course the larvae over-winter and hatch the following spring.



Something about the colour or the surface proved irresistable to this one.



Just as the Budliea proves irresistable to this, and many others



And from certain angles, butterflies can be very menacing. Especially when they're beating their wings trying to drum up hurricanes around the other side of the world. But if the butterflies didn't flap their wings, what would happen to the world? Much as I find the wind annoying, especially as a breeze springs up the instant I train the camera on something small and slender, I would miss the cleansing effect it has on the dust and litter around me.

2 Comments:

Blogger P. said...

Something about the colour or the surface proved irresistable to this one

What is it on?

Bloody beautiful pics. Really really beautiful.

12:22 am  
Blogger Sopwith-Camel said...

It is a polypropylene tarpauling

2:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home