What goes up...

is often a lot of hot air. In my mind I soar like an eagle, but my friends say I waddle like a duck.

My Photo
Name:
Location: No Man's Land, Disputed Ground

Flights of Fancy on the Winds of Whimsy

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Super Superstition

Since I got the old bike out two weeks ago, it has rained almost every day. I've managed a few rides of twenty or thirty minutes in between bouts of heavy rain and forceful winds, but I've had to accept drizzle in the face and swept-back hair as inevitable.

Since I bought a solar panel for charging batteries a week ago, the sun hasn't really shone. I've dashed outside and set it up when brief tantalising rays appeared, only to dash outside again and bring it all back in when long infuriating bouts of rain followed. It has been wet and cold and windy, and the fire has been burning non-stop for more than a week.

So today, I tried an experiment. I went outside with a hand saw and cut up enough wood to last us three days in the stove. There was distant thunder as I sawed up the first couple of fence posts. My old opponent the wind blew playfully along the front of the house in defiance to the direction the clouds above were moving in, as if to let me know I was not forgotten, not too insignificant to be toyed with if it felt like it. It opened and closed the unlatched front door as if to invite me back inside, to concede defeat and run for the warmth and shelter. I sawed up another couple of old fence posts. Rays of sun appeared. I dismantled and turned into firewood an old door that has been annoying me for years. The sun shone brightly through the clouds that scudded faster across the blue skies.

I took three bags of firewood into the house, and took the solar panels and batteries outside into the sun. They are still out there, soaking up the free energy. I heard no more of the thunderous mutterings, and felt no more spatters of rain.

I think I am going to pay less regard to the scientific methods I have used these past few years, and go and speak to the butterflies instead, to see what they can tell me about the wind.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger FirstNations said...

have you ever written a letter to the mice? my grandmother believed in this. if mouses were getting into your houses you wrote them a letter explaining politely that their presence was less than welcome and to please leave...spread the whole with peanut butter or jam, and placed it in the nearest mousehole. the mice would eat it, reading it intestinally one assumes, and leave. so grandma claimed, anyway.
sorry i haven't been by. i backread and now i regret my absence.

comfort: I'm a Hispano-Suiza in a world full of Miatas. you won't get there fast...but you'll really enjoy the ride.

gracious that's blue.

1:38 am  
Blogger Sopwith-Camel said...

Write to the mice? Those illeratii? They left me a scrawl on the wall a few years ago - 'Oi mister, looz yor kats or weel choo froo yor wirez. Yoo hav bin worned.' I did nothing; a few weeks later the power point in the utility room stopped working overnight, and I've heard nothing from them since.

Now if the slugs could read, I'd seriously consider writing them a letter. From what you say, something along the lines of 'I say, old chaps, you couldn't, um, say, give us a few days off, could you?' rather than 'FOAD, you slimy bastards.'

12:19 pm  
Blogger BEAST said...

FN and SC you can employ mice charmers in sunny dorset , that come and persuade the mice to move out of your house , apparently they work

10:11 am  
Blogger Sopwith-Camel said...

Ha, would that be the Paid Piper of Hambledon Hill you're on about, Beast?

6:39 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home