What goes up...

is often a lot of hot air. In my mind I soar like an eagle, but my friends say I waddle like a duck.

My Photo
Name:
Location: No Man's Land, Disputed Ground

Flights of Fancy on the Winds of Whimsy

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Love for sale, one careful owner

Near to where I live is an antiques auction house, small, but still a well-known place for the curious and the collector to congregate once every few weeks and raise their hands against each other in a trial for pieces of the past.

I was there last weekend, looking to bid on two lots; a box with loose 'meccano' pieces and some clockwork railway items, and a larger box containing some old cameras and a Bakelite Bagatelle game. I bid on the box with the game, and was about to drop out as the price cleared the estimated sale figure, but something made me keep my hand up and the other bidder backed down. I had gone ten pounds over my allocated amount for it, and was worried that I now would not be able to get the box with the 'meccano' and model railway parts, but nobody else bid against me, and I got it for less than the anticipated figure. I left the salerooms with both lots, at my expected cost.

The box with the cameras also contained some guide books to London, Switzerland, and South Africa, and several packs of photographs, all of which were negatives. There were two large cast-metal flower vases, a plastic Alligator-skin handbag and un-matching purse, and a small time-capsule containing someone's love of their life.

In a cream-yellow cigarette tin, (50 Players No. 3), I found a tightly packed wad of memories. On the very top lay a dried Edelweiss flower and the label from a bottle of wine.



Beneath it were several postcards from Scotland, Bath, Switzerland, all dating from 1952, and a photo of a young man in formal highland regalia. Then, an envelope containing a dozen or so black and white negatives, titled 'honeymoon'. Beneath that I found a few small prints, mostly two inch square.













































Beneath those prints was a larger greeting card with a photo of them both and their dog, then several more packs of negatives.

The items I had bought belonged to a woman, I am certain, and I assume she was the woman in the photographs. The memories she had cherished so much were mostly negatives, the original prints would be in albums or framed on mantelpieces. I am also sure that she is dead. Someone came in to clear out her last possessions, packing them all into old fruit crates, an odd mixture of vases, trays, and her treasured photographic items. Why did nobody claim the photos? Did she never have children? I cannot find any negatives showing a family, although I have only flipped through them in a cursory manner.

Whoever had been her executor must have opened the cigarette tin, and gone through the contents, just as I did. They would have known if there had been anyone who had a claim on the memories, so I assume that there were no children, and that her husband had died before her. The executor had faced two choices; destroy the memories on the grounds that they were too personal to be given to strangers, or put them back in the tin and let fate decide. They took the second choice.

And so what do I do now? Can I throw away these carefully ordered items, because they belonged to a stranger and have nothing whatever to do with me? Strangely, I cannot do it. I have looked through the evidence of someone else's love, and know that destruction would be wrong. I cannot say for certain why, but perhaps it is because I realise that there is no-one else in this world who cares that she existed, laughed at things, fell in love, and treasured the small collection. I have become an unwitting curator.

Would anybody else like the job? It is going to weigh heavily on my shoulders. Is there, somewhere in this world, a museum for people's lives, a place where ordinary and un-remembered souls can rest in peace for occasional visitors to take inspiration from? Please let me know if you can help.

Love, it sometimes seems to me, is so plentiful that you can't even give it away.I wonder what someone might leave in the future as their memories of me?

7 Comments:

Blogger CT said...

How sad. I have come accross a tiny shop in Falmouth called Mr Magpies which also has hundreds of personal negatives, photos and postcards which once belonged to people who have probably died. I'm not sure what you should do...

12:43 pm  
Blogger Sopwith-Camel said...

I'm not sure either. I remember years ago that some monks set up a website where people could bury their dead Tamagotchi pets. I wonder if I should set up a website where the memories of the dead can be similarly laid to rest. Well, perhaps not laid to rest, more like the opposite. Do you believe in ghosts that need to stay close to the earth?

12:14 am  
Blogger Occasional Poster of Comments said...

Poignant and thought-provoking. I enjoyed that post a lot. Actually I've been rather enjoying your whole blog over the last week or so.

I'm afraid I haven't a clue where you could send the cigarette tin either, but your post reminded me that I hadn't had a look at this site for a while.

11:58 pm  
Blogger Sopwith-Camel said...

Thanks for the link, OPoC, I'll have a better look at it next weekend. It could be that I'm going to be opening the UK franchise soon.

3:43 am  
Blogger Taiga the Fox said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:51 pm  
Blogger Taiga the Fox said...

The comment I made earlier didn't seem to exist, so here's a new one.

Oh, what a touching post and lovely photos. (I'm in fact so odd I buy old, beautiful photos sometimes).

Perhaps you should contact a museum nearby, if they'd be interested. In Finland the National Board of Antiquities has got the archives for prints and photographs and in the Ethnographic Archive they store pics bit like that.

I'm not so sure what's the situation in Britain, though...

12:17 pm  
Blogger Sopwith-Camel said...

IP, FLA, and Taiga, thanks for your comments, it has made me realise that these sort of memories should not be buried in a museam where they are hard to find and only available during opening hours.

I think we should restart an old human tradition, of passing down selective history by story and entertainment. I think these memories should be posted on the web if they inspire the finder to do so.

I particularly like IP's point about the action both giving one side a chance of survival, and easing the conscience of the other. That imples there will be an automatic test of each set of memories; if they do not touch the soul or conscience of the finder, then there is no need for that finder to publish them.

8:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home